> Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure I follow. I know a LOT of software
> is sold this way, I'm just not certain I understand why. It seems kind
> of ridiculous, sort of like if Jeep charged me the full price of a
> vehicle for each extremity involved in the driving process.

Joshua,

>From what I can tell, it's just the handiest way to draw a bright line
between larger corporate customers and small developers/businesses. They
want to keep prices as low as possible for the latter in order to build the
market, and then make most of their money by hitting up the former for extra
cash.

The alternative would be arcane per-seat licensing and so on, which is
annoying to the user and a pain to audit for the server provider. Or they
could charge everyone a middle-ground price that drives away small
developers, a very unappealing thought.

--
Roger Benningfield
JournURL