> >What's the no relaying rule?
> >What exactly are you trying to accomplish, besides not creating an open
relay?
> >Whether or not an SMTP relay is "open" is completely in the hands of the
email
> >server configuration.  Permitting relaying only from localhost and/or
machines
> >on the local network would be one way of doing it.
>
> GOAL - Disallow mail relaying from outside the network.  Want to be sure
> all spam lists recognize my mailing system as a non-relay system.  My mail
> server allows the option "No relaying" however that means that all present
> clients using their own mail software (outlook, Eudora, Netscape) from
> their own machines across the US can not send email.  So I did a bunch of
> research and web based mail on a local network computer made sense from my
> understanding.  If I use the right level of logon security, then I would
> think that's what I need.

Very few hosting providers provide relaying for their customers spread all over
the world.

The only way to really allow your customers to utilize your email server for
relaying is to use SMTPAuth (authorized SMTP - the email client logs in first
to relay mail), if it's an available option in your mail server.  However, not
all email client software supports it.  Most hosting providers simply tell
their customers to use their local ISP's SMTP server to send messages.  This is
a pretty simple alternative, since virtually everyone connects through an ISP
of some sort, and virtually every ISP permits their customers to use their SMTP
servers for relaying.

A webmail interface is a poor alternative for most people accustomed to using a
standard email client.  If you really wanted to go that route, I'd suggest
investigating a good open source webmail client, such as SquirrelMail, written
in PHP.  This would be more than just a form for sending messages; it would be
a complete system for sending, reading, replying to and managing email.

ColdFusion and related topics.