From: Alan Ford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 16 August 2003 6:21 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: cflock - what does it do? Exactly?

I've seen <cflock scope = "session" type = "exclusive"> described in two
ways in the documentation (and I have my own, different, understanding of
it) - I'd be interested to know which one is true.

a) It holds the only exclusive lock for that session. Any other code for the
session can run; the only thing that will be stopped is another attempt to
take a session lock (either exclusive, or read-only) [my own intuitive
understanding of cflock]

b) 'An exclusive lock single-threads access to the CFML constructs in its
body. Single-threaded access implies that the body of the tag can be
executed by at most one request at a time. A request executing inside a
cflock tag has an "exclusive lock" on the tag. No other requests can start
executing inside the tag while a request has an exclusive lock. ColdFusion
issues exclusive locks on a first-come, first-served basis' [mm website -
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/5.0/CFML_Reference/Tags57.htm]

So, if the lock contained <cfset> and <cfparam> statements then nothing else
in that session could execute a <cfset> or <cfparam> statement until the
exclusive lock was cleared

c) 'once inside a locked block of code, all other threads are queued until
the thread with the exclusive lock relinquishes control' [cfmx web
application construction kit]

Regards,

Alan Ford