Hi,
This is off topic, but I am sure many of you have had to deal with
issues such as these in the past.

I have been living in a bubble for the past 3 years and have developped
many web apps in CF, ASP and JSP on secure networks with no Internet
connection. For the first time, I am building an Internet based web app
in CF. Creating the members only portion with user authentication and so
on is no problem.

However, the site's main focus is to share research data among members.
Most members want to upload MS Word docs, MS Excel docs and PDFs. The
site will be hosted at an ISP, so using IIS or NT security is not an
option.

So here is my dilema, once I have uploaded documents that I only want
members to access, how can I achieve something better than "security
through obscurity" and prevent people from stumbling on the docs by
guessing or as the result of a search engine search? Same question for
images. There will be images in .jpg and .gif format which are destined
for members eyes only.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Grif