The reason I started going in this direction is I have dynamic options
for each product.

Each product may have it's own set of options color/size/accessories.
Plus each option will possibly modify the price and shipping.

The data was getting so complex I was going to start storing the
shopping cart information in a database rather then session variables.

Then I decided this would be a perfect time to learn how CF works with
XML.

You are right.  I don't see any major advantage over using a structure.

Call it a learning experience.  Nothing more.