Hello,

Here's a puzzle for all you 'Joe Celko' types:

Am trying to figure out how to do on SQL Server something I can do in
Oracle.  I think this problem is variously known as Subtypes-Supertypes,
Circular Reference, Entity Tree, etc...

Given this data:

Columns: iEntityID, iSubEntityOf, sName
1 1 Mary
2 2 1 Fritz
3 3 1 John
4 4 2 Abu
5 5 2 Ludwig
6 6 3 Abigail
7 7 3 Josef
8 8 6 Mark
9 9 6 Ben
10 10 6 Habib
11 11 9 Paul
12 12 11 Mahatma

I want to graphically represent the tree in this data - i.e. Mary is the
boss; Fritz and John report to Mary; Abu and Ludwig report to Fritz;
etc...

The important thing is that the SubEntityOf column is kind of a foreign
key to the primary key EntityID, such that the tree can be infinitely
deep.

I used to be able to do this in Oracle using:

<CFQUERY NAME="GetEntities" DATASOURCE="MyDatasource">
        SELECT iEntityID, iSubEntityOf, sName
        FROM Mytable
        WHERE NOT iEntityID
        START WITH iEntityID=1
        CONNECT BY PRIOR iEntityID=iSubEntityOf
</CFQUERY>

But I can't use these functions in SQL Server...

Thanks!

-Jason