From: Bryan Love [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 2:20 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: SQL : Finding element in list of values in a query field.

First of all the DB design is incorrect for what you are trying to do...
That being said, I've had to deal with this before and here is the best
possible solution without changing the DB...

1) modify the GUI you use for data entry so that the talents list is
inserted into the database with a comma at the beginning and at the end.
So a list of talents looks like this in the DB:
",running,dancing,cooking,"

2) run a query that will modify the data that is already in the DB by
adding a comma before and after the talents string: UPDATE [table] SET
talents = ',' + talents + ',' WHERE talents IS NOT NULL AND talents <>
''

3) now you can run queries like this:
SELECT *
FROM [table]
WHERE talents LIKE '%,#aTalent#,%'

Bryan Love
  Database Analyst
  Macromedia Certified Professional
  Internet Application Developer
TeleCommunication Systems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"...'If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may
have peace'..."
        - Thomas Paine, The American Crisis

"Let's Roll"
        - Todd Beamer, Flight 93