An earlier reply gave you the condition logic you are looking for.

This part you got figured out.
<cfquery name=firstLet....>
</cfquery>

<cfset listofexistingletters = valuelist(firstlet.firstlettercolumn)>
VALUELIST(query.column) is a function that will take one column of your
query and turn it into a list like this. {A,B,D,E,M,N,P,Q,R,X,Y,Z}

Now in your output of the alphabet you can check each letters existence in
the above list.

<cfloop from=a to=z index=i>
(this is sudocode you will have to either use another list or use the ASCII
method)

        <cfif listcontains(listofexistingletters,i)>
        this will return a non-zero value or true if the current letter (i)
is in the list stored in (listofexistingletters).
                do the anchor stuff if true
        <cfelse>
                do the plain text if false
        </cfif>