Isaac said,

>The problem with multiple form pages is that they tend to
>piss users off... they want everything on one page

This is *so* very true I just had to jump in.  I had a client with large
forms and lots of traffic (insurance quotes and applications).  All but
a very few of the competition is using multipage forms (6+) and the
impression is that you're on a treadmill, despite breaking up the data
into logical subsections of a few easy fields to fill out.

We had a graphic designer who convinced the client to go multipage with
the new system we put in.  After a few weeks of lackluster results we
dumped the entire insurance application onto a single monstrous form and
completions instantly rose by about 40%.  We then applied the concept to
the quote process and got an immediate 30% increase.  That site has had
a 40% conversion rate on visitors-to-quotes-given for about a year.  Not
all due to this one factor of course (it's a seller's market for what
they do), but certainly the use of a single form that shows the user
up-front the totality of what will be asked of them was a big factor.

On a recent project I more or less forgot this lesson, but thankfully
the client insisted on the big ugly single-page form until I came to my
senses.