Ian, Hal Helms highly recommends an O'Reilley Book "Head First Java".

In addition as you are interested froma CF perspective, I highly recommend you take a
look at the Mach II framework.
http://www.mach-ii.com/.  There are sample apps there that will help you with using
CFC's.

Hth.

Kind Regards - Mike Brunt

Ok, I have about 20 years of experience in procedural design and
programming.  I now have my first real world application that looks ripe for
using an object orientated CFC approach.  But I don't really know where to
begin.  How do I design/model/flow chart my CFC's/Objects/Functionality?
What replaces the old fashioned Flow Chart of a procedurally focused
project?  Where can I find a good tutorial/lesson/explanation of how to do
this?  I'm getting a little bewildered by the amount of information I'm
getting from basic Google searches, particularly since I'm not really sure
what I should be searching for, UML/OAD/OOD/???

Also, I'm having trouble finding any good, introductory, how to information.
I get lots of information on why object orientated approach is so good, but
little to none on how to actually do the design.  At the other end of the
spectrum I find all these tools to help you, but little explanation on what
to do with the tools once you have one.  Call me an old kook but I prefer to
know how to do something by hand before I get the fancy power tool that does
it for you, black boxes are fine and dandy until they don't actually meet
your needs, then your left high and dry when all you have is a fancy router
(the woodworking one, not the computer network kind) and you really just
need a chisel.

So if somebody could give me some good links for any tutorials/lessons/how
to material (books would be good to, but who can really afford to buy a book
for every topic one needs to keep up on these days), I would be most
appreciative.  Something along the lines of "we are now going to design the
'Super Hello World Application' using XYZ object development mythology, here
are the step by step instructions that we followed to do so" would be
awesome.

Thanks,

Ian Skinner
Web Programmer