Hi,

Have you given a thought of using <cfsavecontent> instead?

Qasim

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Paris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 12:20 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: performance of ThisTag.GeneratedContent

Hi,

This is a question regarding the *performance* of using
ThisTag.GeneratedContent inside a custom tag .

Here is an example:

<cf_pageBody>
        . lots of generated html code (worst case: say an online report:
1-2 MB) .. </cf_pageBody>

Will ColdFusion save this very big string chunk into a new variable
"ThisTag.GeneratedContent" for use in the custom tag?
If so, is this a big hit on performance and memory? (think in terms of
traffic / site load).

OR:  is the ColdFusion engine doing some trick by placing pointers
around
some output stack (in order to save on performance/memory)

Next, does it make a difference if I don't reference the
ThisTag.GeneratedContent inside my custom tag?  (in other words, I just
let coldfusion automatically dump the generated content out.)

Basically, my tag would do the following:

<cfif ThisTag.ExecutionMode IS "START">
                <!--- my body header --->

<cfelseif ThisTag.ExecutionMode IS "END">
                <!--- coldfusion automatically dumps generated content
--->
                <!--- my body footer --->
</cfif>

. would the above avoid a performance/memory hit?  or will any
ThisTag.GeneratedContent performance hit be incurred even if its not
referenced?

.. basically, because some blocks would contain large html files (online

reports), I wanted to know if ThisTag.GeneratedContent would slow things

down, especially with increasing traffic/load.

To get around any performance hit, there would be two alternate
solutions:

(1)
<cf_pageBody_start>
        . my html body .
<cf_pageBody_end>

(2)
        <cfinclude = "body_header.cfm">
        . my html body .
        <cfinclude = "body_header.cfm">

. I would much prefer using <cf_pageBody></cfpageBody> if the
performance
hit is negligible.

Thank you for reading this long post!!  Any insights are greatly
appreciated!

Michael