> yeah, but a 2K HTML email with 10 1px clear GIFs passing your email
and
> such to spam lists is REAL SUPER dumb.  I'd prefer the text based
anyday
> to this.  Of course, email from this list would be clean anyway, so a
> preferential decision on the members part would seem fine.

I still see this as an implementation concern, not a conceptual concern.

It's like anything else: some people will really abuse it and many of
those will do so when it becomes available.

Any new technology is pretty much instantly used to produce crappier
crap.  HTML, Flash, DHTML, etc - at first people went crazy (some still
are) but it does settle down rather quickly (due primarily, I think, to
peer pressure).

Even text has this problem - Google some of the holy wars about
signature length in USENet circa 1994-1995.  ;^)

Jim Davis