On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 15:29 US/Eastern, Justin Hansen wrote:
> I'm starting a new project that will require SSL and I have a few
> questions...
> If a user is on Server(A) and has and SSL session going what happens
> if Server(A) goes down?
> When Server(B) picks up the user will the SSL be broken?
I haven't tried this (but will Real Soon Now), but given that HTTP and
HTTPS are not persistent connection protocols, I think the SSL
browser-server handshake has to happen each time a HTTPS connection is
requested. So the important part would be that each server that could
answer the request has a valid certificate.

> Both servers have to have different keys right?
Yes. You have different certs for the same domain on different boxes.

> Wouldn't that break the users session? What would happen user?
I don't think (though I could be wrong) that the browser compares the
SSL certificate from one connection to the next. The only things the
browser cares about is that the certificate is from an accepted CA and
that the domain name on the cert matches the domain in the request.

Sessions as far as CF cares about don't have anything to do with SSL.

--
Howard Fore, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not