I'm not sure if it's only that. this may sound odd, but here's one idea:

Everybody I know that works with CF is actually working - we are doing
CF as a career, as a job.  So a LOT of these kind of applications are
written (many with the intent of going open-source actually) for either
clients or companies.  However VERY often life gets in the way and
things languish and never get released.

On the other hand a huge number of the popular open-source stuff for PHP
(for example) seems to be coming from college students and hobbyists.
In other words they are doing this just to do it while many CFers are
doing it for a paycheck.

Of course the fact remains that there are fewer CFers than PHPers, but
it still seems like the CF community, in general, just doesn't
open-source projects as often.  Ask "anybody have a CMS" and 20 people
will pop up saying "I wrote my own, let me know if you want it" - but
there's no "official" open-source of the product.

For my part this is almost all about the packaging: I do a nice little
thing then spend months unable to find the time to write any
documentation or "clean it up" for general use (replacing branded
graphics/content with generic for example).

I've often considered just setting up a "use at your own risk" area of
my site where I place zip file of (what I think are) interesting code
with two-line descriptions and no docs.  People want to decipher them,
then go at it.  ;^)

But, in general I would like to see more organized open-source projects
with CF.

Jim Davis