  From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 7:40 PM
  To: CF-Talk
  Subject: RE: Survey: Open Source CF Stuff (was "Looking for Cold Fusion Fo
rum similar to FuseTalk")

  > My last post on this subject got me to thinking: why isn't
  > there more CF Open source?  How do you guys approach the topic:

  > 7) I already open source (or at least make available unencrypted
  > copies of) at least some things.  (This would include submitting
  > unencrypted files to the developer's exchange)

  That's where we fall, here at Fig Leaf. We provide lots of code samples and
  modules at CFUGs, regularly. Most of these are relatively small, modular
  things that do one thing specifically. We generally don't release entire
  applications, since most of those are custom applications developed for
  clients, but they share a lot of similar modules that we do release.

  In my experience, there's not as much value in people's code as they tend to
  think - once a competent programmer sees an interface that he might not have
  thought of, it's usually not too difficult to work out an implementation on
  his own.

  > Why don't we have many full-featured (and open) forums, CMSs, Blogs,
  > Security systems, inventory managers, shopping carts, and so on? We
  > do have a LOT of parts for them - just very few complete ones.\
  >
  > Why is that?

  I suspect that this is because CF itself isn't open source or free software.
  Most CF developers are corporate drones (like me!) who work on large
  projects for corporate use, which aren't open-sourced for obvious reasons. I
  don't think there are too many complete, open-source J2EE applications in
  the same vein, either, although it's easy to find specific modules that
  perform common tasks.

  Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
  http://www.figleaf.com/
  phone: 202-797-5496