Thanks for this link!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Geoff Bowers
  To: CF-Talk
  Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 7:15 AM
  Subject: Re: ACL database design

  Hugo Ahlenius wrote:
  > As the SQL guru, how do I design a query with a recursive table (unlimited
  > parent/child relationships). So that i.e. a group has a foreign key to the
  > parent group. So that I can, in one query get all the parents of a
  > specific group (a recursive join?)

  Google "joe celko nested tree model".

  This is a good start:
  http://www.intelligententerprise.com/001020/celko.shtml

  If you want to see this sort of thing in action we use it in FarCry CMS
  (http://farcry.daemon.com.au/) to manage the n-depth tree model we use
  for site management.  We have a tree.cfc that wraps the code up in
  methods allowing you to getdescendants(): all nodes under a single
  parent to any depth, getAncestors(): all parents up the the root, and so on.

  Its great.  Instead of traversing the tree (look up the parent and the
  parents parent, etc) you just need a single SELECT statement.
  Lightening fast.

  -- geoff bowers
  Managing Director
  Daemon Internet Consultants