From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 11:38 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Antivirus software on web server

> The question was brought up, that how would you ever know
> if your server was infected without some software scanning.
> My argument to that was if the server is correctly secured
> that should never be an issue, but, with new exploits being
> discovered each month the chances go up that the server
> could be compromised before the patch is applied.

If you're concerned about server exploits, a virus scanner probably
isn't
going to help you very much, if at all. You're much better off using a
host-based firewall to limit inbound and outbound traffic appropriately,
and
use something wherever possible to examine that traffic (stateful packet
inspection at your host-based firewall, or a web server input filter,
for
example).

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/