I made an interface using _javascript_.  There is no actual form field on the page, so you don't have to worry about focus.  The _javascript_ on the page grabs the keystrokes, throws them in a hidden form, and then submits the form.  It was used for a time clock app using a Drivers License.  I don't have the code with me, but I could dig it up if you're interested.  Email me off list...

Andrew ([EMAIL PROTECTED])