At 01:52 PM 7/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I was told that char is better than varchar. Is this right?
>
>I am going to have fields that are set to be either 25  50 100 or 150
>characters long. Is there a reason any of these fields should be char or
>varchar? I have allways used varchar but I would like to know what is best.
>
>Feel free to respond directly to me since it is OT ;-)

Um, no. This is probably a common question. I wanted to know this once and
this is where I got my answer.

I've heard that varchar is better because the field lengths varies to the
size of the contents. With char there is a set length and all extra space
is taken up with spaces. That means that with varchar you won't have to be
so fond of the Trim function and your db will probably end up smaller. You
can still put a max length on the field, but the minimum length does not
equal the max length.