What is the software you are downloading and installing?  How are you
installing it?

The only way to do something like this that I can think of is to write
an application that performs all these tasks for you.

It might be easiest to use InstallShield (or similar) and create a
custom install script.  You can modify the registry on the client
machine to hold the ID, and tell it to run IE to a specified URL one
time at startup (runOnce).  That url, stored in the registry, would
contain the ID.  InstallShield is very scriptable, and you can do things
like check to see if the install went correctly and take corrective
action if it did not, etc.

It's certainly possible, without getting into all the political issues
that this kind of forcing a user to install software brings up, but it's
not entirely trivial.  You can't do this with Coldfusion (or any other
web/scripting language) alone.

Good luck!

Jeff