How about this:  In CF create a unique number, store it in a table along with the other info you need about this user.  In the output stream back to the user, give me a message something like this:

Please save this message as a Favorite for future reference.  You will need it to access this application in the future.  To access this application
please click HERE

To complete your application setup, click HERE

The first click HERE is a URL link that contains the unique number you generated and stored on the server and associated with this user.

The second click HERE goes to the download page that you talked about in your initial posting.

I'm not positive, but I think you can create favorites via _javascript_, in which case you could also remove the necessity for the user to create the favorite.  You could create a Favorite called RUN APPLICATION XYZ and then in the message above just tell the user to look for that in his favorites when he wants to run the application in the future.

One thing you need to keep track of, when processing the second click HERE to do the download, is that you have in fact done the download for this user, just in case he clicks on it a second time after pulling up the favorite.  Of course, if the _javascript_ trick works, you don't need to worry about that because you can control the exact URL that the Favorite maps to.

good luck!
-reed