I've seen this before, but one question remains unanswered:  does this work to fix mySQL versions that are prior to 4.1 (which is still designated 'alpha')?  According to mySQL AB, thats the first version thats Unicode compatible.

Or is this connection string some sort of magic bullet?

Building my first unicode-compliant sample db app today for a project that'll wind up in Chinese.  Looked to me like mySQL needed 4.1 to go Unicode.