I'll agree with Nick on this one. If you have a project with one or two developers then prehaps one can get away with not using source control. However, once a team of developers start working on a project then souce control becomes a necessity. Once the project moves into production (and code writing is more mainteance oriented), source control does become cirtical.

On the other hand souce control is not a "make it or break it issue". More important the hiring a good web development company is how the company approaches the product, the types of requirements gathering occuring at the beining of the project and the communication channels/opportunities the company provides. Good solid references also help too.

Good companies will provide a solid development methodology
explaining how they will communicate with you at every step of the way. In my experiance, projects fail more often because of a lack of communication between the development team and the customer than anyting else!

Jeremy Brodie
Intelix
an Edgewater Technology Solutions Company

web: http://www.edgewater.com
phone:(703) 815-2500
nasdaq symbol: EDGE