There is a thread on the macr forums (http://webforums.macromedia.com/coldfusion/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=384991) which seems to describe a problem we are now having: namely, that sometimes our client variables are getting lost.

The short version: we are (intermittently) having the same problems described throughout this thread; we are on mx6.1, W2K. But we may have tracked this down:

Can anyone confirm or deny that mx6.1 now creates cookies that truncate any domain beginning with more than 3 alpha-numeric characters?

The longer version:

We have several application environments:

1) 127.0.0.1 or localhost
2) dev.[app_name].[company_name].com
3) stage.[app_name].[company_name].com
4) www.[app_name].com

The problem has crept up in situation #3, or #1 sometimes, where we would *occasionally* lose client variables. I could verify that the variables were getting stored in the database, but they would just be "lost" when the app tried to retrieve them via the cookie.

On closer inspection, the cookies are being written out thusly:

1) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
3) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
4) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Note that for #3 (the stage example), the "stage" part of the domain is being cut off; likewise, if you use "localhost" for #1, that gets cut off.

Needless to say, this makes it difficult for the cookies to be properly associated with their client variables.

So: can anyone else verify this behavior?
Is there any bug fix for this?
Does it mean that in mx6.1, we can only use domain names with 3 leading alpha-numeric characters?

Kelly Tetterton
duo | Technical Lead
One Web Company.
Twice the Results.

312.224.9650 | main
312.224.9648 | direct
312.224.9651 | fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.duodesign.com

duoDesign is a Web development and marketing firm that combines
expertise in design, technology and online promotion to help businesses
and organizations use the Internet marketing channel to greatest advantage.