We had a problem similar to this with CFMX. Our server didn't crash but we
would get error reports here and there because of deleted variables and
other wackyness. It took a while to track down and even longer to solve them
all, but we did it.

It took some creative locking skills to get the sequence just right on part
of it, and some creative error reporting skills to keep the unfixable and
transparent (to users) errors from being reported on the rest.

We put an exclusive named lock around deleting variables, and a readonly
lock around large chunks of code that would throw these errors. It was
annoying because we could set a variable, then 5 lines later it would be
gone, so these whole chunks had readonly locks.

As for the unfixable errors I mentioned, it's things like, when a page takes
a while to load, a user will click logout before it loads, so sometimes they
can be 2-3 clicks down the road by the time that slow-loading page finishes,
and at the end, it includes a template that calls a session variable and
throws an error. Of course the user is 4 clicks beyond that, so they never
know it happens. These errors we trap on our error catching template and
refuse to report.

Test this stuff and see if that happens to you, then put your locking skills
to the test.

-nathan strutz