Actually I don't think there's a need to use varchar(32)... simply use
char(32)

-Novak

-----Original Message-----
From: Barney Boisvert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 10:51 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Scrambling Data

Use hash() on the password before your insert (you'll need a varchar(32)
for
the result), and then when you select, use hash() again.  You'll never
be
able to get the original password out, you'll only be able to check a
password and see if it's the same.  That means you can't tell a user
what
their forgotten password is, you have to reasign it, but that's
generally a
pretty brainless excerise.

Cheers,
barneyb