I've run into this problem as well, and I think it stems from the CFC not
being within the CF web root, or a CF mapping, though I've never taken the
time to confirm it for sure.

In other words, if you only ever reference the CFC relatively, and haven't
set anything up to be able to reference it absolutely, then it doesn't
appear in CFC explorer, because there is no absolute name for it.

Cheers,
barneyb