From: Les Mizzell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 10:02 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Hiding an Email Address from harvesters

Regarding SPAM Email Harvester Bots...

There's some really good _javascript_s out there to protect an email
address in a standard "MAILTO:" link, but the harverters are also
grabbing addresses from CFMAIL tags.

Anybody got a good technique to "hide" the email addresses in "CFMAIL"
from the harvesters?

By the way, I've got a page working now that uses _javascript_ by
D.K.Merriman to generate a ton of false email addresses, then record the

   IP address and other information about the crawler and email it to me

so I can see what's hitting the page. The page then has links containing

random variable that point back to itself so the harvester will follow
the link back to the page and get MORE email addresses.

I grabbed one last night:
address = 63.121.30.223
host = 63.121.30.223
agent = Mozilla/4.7 (compatible; FlipDog;
http://www.whizbang.com/crawler)
page = /myEmailList.cfm

It looped through the page close to 100 times, thusly grabbing several
thousand "dud" addresses....

--
Les Mizzell