From: Jochem van Dieten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:35:57 +0100
To: CF-Talk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CF_MAX_ID - MySQL slowww

Spectrum WebDesign wrote:

> <cfquery name="getmaxID" datasource="#attributes.datasource#">
> select max(#attributes.PrimaryKEY#) as Max_ID
> from #attributes.tablename#
> </cfquery>

Use the proper indexes.

> Why the hell would you want to do this?
>
> Because autonumber datatypes are not easily transferable from database to database.  They are also
> a pain in the neck to develop with, because once the record has been created that number can never
> be used again.

That depends on your database.

> This technique is not 100% necessary for Fusebox applications, but after
> you play with autonumbers and try and move data from one database to another you'll thank me.

And after a concurrency conflict he will be cursed. Please take a
moment to think about the default transaction isolation level in
MySQL and the implications that has for your code. It is
currently not concurrency save.

> Do you have another option to Max_ID????

Bite the bullet and let the database generate the primary key.

Jochem

--
I don't get it
immigrants don't work