Hi folks,

I'm attempting to troubleshoot a problem that is occurring on one,
and only one, of two similarly configured servers.

I say "similarly," because one (the Development server) is running
Windows Server 2003 and the other (the Testing server) is running W2K.

Both are running MX 6.1 and SQL Server 2000 with the latest service packs.

The production environment naturally splits the database and Web/CF
stuff into two machines, but the Dev and Test servers are combos.

Here's what's happening: I run a stored procedure to retrieve
records; when there are few records returned (50-100), all is well on
both machines.

However, when there are a few hundred (or a few thousand) matches,
there's a problem on the Test server. The rendered page never comes
back, and eventually I get a "Cannot find server or DNS error"
message from the browser.

On the Dev server, the page returns fine, and relatively quickly. I
am seeing the same behavior when running other procs/pages which
return larger recordsets.

The databases and procedures on both machines are precisely the same,
as is the CF code. When I run sample parameters to the proc in Query
Analyzer which result in some 5800 records being returned, the query
actually returns results on the Test server (where the problem
occurs) twice as quickly as on the Dev machine.

So I assume the bottleneck is not in the database operation, but
somewhere further along.

Datasources are set up identically in both CF Admins.

Has anyone run into this problem of difficulty in displaying large
recordsets, or can someone please suggest a path along which I might
begin troubleshooting? I've tried searches in the MM KnowledgeBase
and on Google with no luck -- but it's hard to be specific enough
with search terms in this case.
--

Thanks,

Tom

Tom McNeer
MediumCool
   A Marketing, Creative and Construction Company
   for the World Wide Web

530 Means St NW, Suite 110
Atlanta, GA 30318

404-589-0560