> But CF rarely has to look in that directory.  Pretty much only on
> server
> startup, because the classes are all cached in memory.  And the
> timestamps
> of the class files don't need to be checked (I can't imagine they
> didn't
> expose this through their ClassLoader), only the source files, which
> are in
> directories unless the app developers are insane.

That may be true for your application, but certainly not all
applications. Have you ever seen an application with more files then
can be fit in the template cache? I have. Have you ever seen an
application that wrote out files dynamically and then cfincluded them?
I have. Have you ever seen an application with so many CF generated
class files that the server can't even handle a request? I have.

In the end, whether this issue affects you or not; there is simply no
reason not to take something so simple and well known into account when
building a product such as CFMX.

-Matt