On Monday, January 12, 2004, at 12:15  PM, Daniel O'Keefe wrote:

> What would be an example of the type of functionality you would use a
> web service for in this case?

I sometimes like to provide a Flash front-end alternative to CF/HTML
apps.  I think some functionality is better expressed in Flash and some
better in CF/HTML.  I like to try to get the best of both worlds.  Web
services are a great way for Flash to hook into the CF back-end.

In terms of pure CF applications:

1. I added web services to MXNA (http://www.markme.com/mxna) so that
people could write their own presentation layers.  (We haven't made the
API public yet).
2. Community Vision (http://www.markme.com/vision) is exposed through
web services which Mike Chambers leveraged for a Central application.
3. I wrote an application for internal use called Community Resource
Directory which has 100% of its functionality exposed through web
services.  This allows the CF front end to be hosted on different
servers throughout the company while I maintain the bulk of the
application on an internal community server.

In general, allowing communities to write their own code on top of a
set of core services has a lot of interesting potential.  In the case
of eBay, it has translated directly into serious revenue.  I don't know
about Amazon and Google, but I'm guessing it will eventually bring in
money if it hasn't already.

Christian