does cvs work on xp

-----Original Message-----
From: walker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 4:25 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: real quick ot

Yes.

I hear what you're saying about version control not being important on the
web. I used to think that myself, when I was doing sites by myself, and
wholly responsible for its content.

A few things can change this:

1) Your development team grows, and you developers working on the same
scripts/pages. Or if you hire a tester who tests code before it goes out to
production. Then it becomes a syncronization issue. While you develop the
next version of code, your tester can test the 'active' release, and write
bugs against it without disturbing your work area. One of the developers can
fix bugs while the other works on future functionality.... etc.

2) Your code gets replicated across different machines. Since it is critical
for all machines to have the same codebase, then you need to use a version
control system to 'deploy' a version of your website across all machines.

2b) For the security of being able to 'deploy' the site at a moment's notice
if your production hardware should fail. Sure, you could do that now, but
could anyone else? Is it written down anywhere? With version control at
least someone else would know the correct version of code to deploy if you
were hit by a truck.

3) If any part of your website- be it documentation, a client application
whatever - lives on a client's machine. Then version control is helpful for
tech support. All of their documentation would be based on the version
number of the release.

4) When your website grows from a corporate brochure, to an online software
application. As complexity grows, so does the need for better documentation,
better testing proceedures (ie regression testing) and _less_ dependence on
the people who "put it all together". If you have a particularly complex
app, and there is no structure around the deployment... this is sounding
more like 2b now.... but with more structure around the process, the less
dependence there is on the creators.

Hope that helps.

And by the way, if you do choose to use version control- don't use MS, check
out CVS first.

-w