Section 508 from the web developer's point of view is really a series of thirteen checkpoints (The rest of the regulations are while important (especally if one bids on US Government contracts for network administration/help desk). To put everything into focus I've outlined the requirements below.

§ 1194.22 Web-based intranet and internet information and applications.

(a) A text equivalent for every non-text element shall be provided (e.g., via "alt", "longdesc", or in element content).

Comment: Sometimes one does not want to follow this advise for useability reason on a screen reader. For example, should one provide context for every spacer graphic or picture having a caption undereath. This could be two legitiamate reasons for not following this rule.

(b) Equivalent alternatives for any multimedia presentation shall be synchronized with the presentation.

Comment: I interpret this rule for multimedia such as audio, video and slideshows

(c) Web pages shall be designed so that all information conveyed with color is also available without color, for example from context or markup.

Comment: This requirement is tough since it is geared to people having red-green, red-blue and blue-green color blindness. From this perspective, yellow links on a dark blue background depending on what is tested might not be clear (although for most of us this is a very nice combination of colors)-- This regulation would suggest testing white against the background.

(d) Documents shall be organized so they are readable without requiring an associated style sheet.

Comment: The W3 tells us to use stylesheets for asseability purposes! This item takes web design a step backwards instead of forwards.

(e) Redundant text links shall be provided for each active region of a server-side image map.

(f) Client-side image maps shall be provided instead of server-side image maps except where the regions cannot be defined with an available geometric shape.

Comment: For most of us, we are not generating image maps from the server

(g) Row and column headers shall be identified for data tables.

(h) Markup shall be used to associate data cells and header cells for data tables that have two or more logical levels of row or column headers.

Comment: This is a hard one to inmplement over an entire website, in practice. This requires using stylesheet elements to markup the indentifcation for each table row and reference it inside of each cell. This is definatly a job for Cold Fusion to automatcally write the table cells! I've palced these two together since to do H one has to do G.

This rule was put into place improve the useability for data tables for reports.

(i) Frames shall be titled with text that facilitates frame identification and navigation.

Comment: Name the frame. On the other hand if one uses an IFRAME for behind the sceans processing, the frame should not be visable to the screen reader.

(j) Pages shall be designed to avoid causing the screen to flicker with a frequency greater than 2 Hz and lower than 55 Hz.

(k) A text-only page, with equivalent information or functionality, shall be provided to make a web site comply with the provisions of this part, when compliance cannot be accomplished in any other way. The content of the text-only page shall be updated whenever the primary page changes.

Comment: This is the catch all for pages that just don't meet the rules and regulations. In practice, this suggests using a content management system to make sure the two versions are always up to date

(l) When pages utilize scripting languages to display content, or to create interface elements, the information provided by the script shall be identified with functional text that can be read by assistive technology.

Comment: For most of us, this is about creating alertboxes, and confirm boxes and other elements used to collect data.  Closely related to Checkpoint N in practice.

This checkpoint also applies to audio/video elements having a script channel to change slides and captioning (captioning should be cornered off to prevent a screen reader from reading the information)!

(m) When a web page requires that an applet, plug-in or other application be present on the client system to interpret page content, the page must provide a link to a plug-in or applet that complies with §1194.21(a) through (l).

Comment: That means that Rich Internet Applications have to follow these guidlines. I think they do... Sandy Clark would respectfully disagree with me

(n) When electronic forms are designed to be completed on-line, the form shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information, field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of the form, including all directions and cues.

Comment: This is all about allowing a user to tab through a form sucessfully-- important for screen readers since these users will tab through a form -- and providing directions based upon tabbing.

Also, this also means not using red to highlight required fields (for color blindness)

(o) A method shall be provided that permits users to skip repetitive navigation links.

(p) When a timed response is required, the user shall be alerted and given sufficient time to indicate more time is required.

Comment: This checkpoint is tricky and not clear. Let's say a session ends because someone has walked away-- should the developer keep the session going based upon an alert?

As pointed out in my commnets, Section 508 compliance is not just about placing a website into Bobby and having the tool spit out its results. I've seen sites that pass this tool but are not very useable.

On the other hand the one of the most useable sites I've seen for assessability really fails Bobby (and badly).

The site is Amazon.com!

Jeremy Brodie
Edgewater Technology

web: http://www.edgewater.com