> I'm curious if others agree with DataDirect's position and
> if you feel they make valid points or if you feel they are
> just blowing their own horn.
>
> We are having a heck of a time getting CFMX 6.1 (Enterprise,
> standalone, Windows 2000 Adv Server) to work with IBM's JDBC
> Type 4 DB2 drivers for OS/390. We have the DataDirect DB2
> drivers working but our systems people want us to use the IBM
> drivers . . . The whitepaper specifically mentions the problems
> we are having trying to set up the IBM drivers as a reason to
> stay away from vendor supplied drivers . . . But I thought that
> generally speaking vendor supplied drivers were supposed to be
> 'better'. Thoughts?

I think the truth is hard to determine. In some cases, I've seen better
results with the bundled drivers, while in others I've seen better results
with the vendor's own drivers. I think that in some cases, the vendor
doesn't spend too much time and energy on their JDBC drivers, although I
suspect that's less true than it used to be.

Most of the differentiation I've seen personally is just whether they work
adequately or not, but apparently there can be quite a bit of performance
difference between drivers, and the right driver may vary depending on the
data access within your application.

> Also, what about support? Does anyone have war stories about
> trying to get support when connectivity between CF and your
> database of choice goes south? Who do you call? Macromedia?
> DataDirect? The database vendor?

Unfortunately, this is a big problem for me right now. Several of our
clients have run into database connectivity problems with CFMX 6.1 against
various mainstream databases. In some cases, it's not readily apparent on
first examination that the problem is even with database connectivity,
although it's turned out to be the case.

DataDirect doesn't provide support for the bundled drivers in CFMX;
Macromedia does. The MM guys have been very helpful when I've needed them;
usually, this consists of getting a stack trace to them and seeing what
turns up. But there's only so much they can do. One of our clients is
testing a newer release of DataDirect Connect for JDBC, and that seems to be
fixing some Oracle connectivity problems.

To summarize all this, test, test, test!

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444