I am looking at having to read anywhere from 500 to 2000 XML files at a time
and update the database with information from the files. I know how to get
around an XML file with either MX's built-in functions or SiteOjects's
custom tags.

Each XML file has a standard stucture - same main attributess, but the
number of child nodes may fluctuate. I.E.:

<record name = "xyz" type = "x" recepient = "y">
    <file outputfile = "1">
    <file outputfile = "n+1">
</record>

I need to read each file and populate a master table with attributes of the
<record> node and a child table with attributes of each <file> node. My fear
is that CF isn't the right tool for the job given the possible heavy I/O
requirements, but it's the only tool I am comfortable in regards to dealing
with XML, as well as being the tool that the overall system is built upon.

So if the XML processing and database updates were left in CF, could anyone
suggest a stable way of going about this? My hunch is that I should iterate
over all files first, contatinate individual files into one larger file and
build a long query string (multipe inserts/update within one cfquery tag).
Am I on the right track?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stas