On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:27:16 -0500, in cf-talk you wrote:

>> This is more of an academic question (since I have working, albeit
>> imperfect, workarounds): Is there a natural, server-side way to get
>> the requested URL in CFMX? (A yes or no answer would be fine ;-)
>
>To the best of my knowledge, there's no single variable available within
>CFMX that contains the entire URL as requested by the user. However, as you
>mentioned, every portion of the URL is available from specific CGI
>variables.
>
>It's worth pointing out that the browser never sends the entire URL within
>its request to the server. For example, if you request the URL
>http://www.foo.com/bar.cfm?baz=bat, the browser would ask the OS to resolve
>the IP address for www.foo.com, then open a connection on port 80 to that IP
>address, sending a request like this:

Ahh, right. I should have known this, as I've done telnet HTTP
requests before. Therefore I think you're right, and the answer is
necessarily "no," since the port, for instance, *is* always explicitly
declared, whether it be by the user or by the client. Thanks for
getting to the crux of the matter.

Jamie