From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:32 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: OT-Firewall

  Mike Brunt wrote:
  > Eric, we use Tiny Firewall for this sort of requirement.
  >
  > http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN
  >
  > Hth, I am sure Jochem will have some good recommendations on this also.

  I'm not sure if they are good, I could use some peer review ;-)

  My usual solution is to enable the built-in packetfilter and
  don't run anything else. Open port 80 for HTTP and optionally 21
  for FTP (active only), 443 for HTTPS, X for remote control
  software and leave the rest closed. UDP is a bit more tricky, DNS
  will fail because you are really using a client and the client
  runs on an ephemeral port (the server runs on 53). You should be
  able to get around this if you have a second NIC and your DNS
  server is on the local subnet, or else I just leave it unfiltered
  (it is filtered at the router here anyway.)
  After that, follow the instructions in the Microsoft TCP/IP
  whitepaper [1] to further harden your stack. There are also some
  templates available from the NSA.

  Overall I have not had any problems with such a configuration. It
  is also a great way to connect unpatched systems during installation.

[1]http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/n
etworkbasics/tcpip_implement.asp

  Jochem

  --