----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 1:49 PM
Subject: RE: Co-Location ?

> As I said earlier I queried MS on this subject, but it was awhile ago.  I
just spent some time talking with a couple of MS sales support people and got
a very different story.  I called the 800 number on the web site this time.
Formerly I got a negative from sales, and after that used a contact to refer
me to someone in legal.

> First and foremost, I related what I had been told earlier and was told
that "The legal people don't know what they're talking about when it comes to
technical issues like this" and that they were dead wrong.

> Secondly, if you are delivering web-only apps you can run anything that
will install on the server.  Specifically the limitation is with Active
Directory.  If you need it, Web Edition has a very crippled version of it and
chances are your app will not run.

> When I asked about ColdFusion, Imail and mySQL I was told, literally, "go
right ahead".

After your last post, I found the following page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx

------ Quote -----------------------------------------------------
Usage
Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, can be used solely to deploy Web pages,
Web sites, Web applications, and Web services. Customers can use Windows
Server 2003, Web Edition, to install the following:

- Web server software; for example, IIS.
- Web availability management software; for example, Microsoft
  Application Center.

Installations of non-Web serving applications are prohibited.
ASP.NET-based applications that include code written in third-party
programming languages can include that programming language's runtime
components. For non-Web serving applications, you should consider
Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition.

This suggests that installing, for instance, a third-party email or FTP
server is prohibited.  Same would be true for MySQL.  But I'd sure like to
hear their definition of "non-Web serving applications".

Of course, what's written on a MS web page isn't legally binding, nor does it
necessarily even reflect the intention of the license.  I honestly don't
think Microsoft itself really has a firm grasp on either the legal aspects of
their own licensing, nor the intention of many of their licensing schemes.
As with many Microsoft licensing issues, all you need to do is keep asking
different MS personnel until you get the answer you want.