Only in _javascript_

function limitSize(obj,len,label){
if(obj.value.length > len){
obj.value = obj.value.slice(0,len);
if(label) alert(label + " can be max. " + len + "
characters long!");
}
}

You can call this function in the js form validation and/or in the
events of the textarea directly:

<textarea cols="50" rows="5" name="ORG_DESC_ACTIVITY" wrap="soft"
description of the organisation\'s
activities and objectives');" > description of the organisation\'s activities and
objectives');"></textarea>