[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> thanks but already been there.. done that
>
> in access i would set the db asa date/time and use either Now() or Date()
> as the default and it was fine but mysql when i do that enters the words
> not the values

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  Are you saying that in the
database you've said use now() as the default?  If so, then yes I've
seen this issue too, but never persued it and just ended up inserting it
  as part of the query rather than try to default it in the database.

I'm using mySQL, I have datetime and date fields in multiple tables.  I
use CreateODBCDateTime, CreateODBCDate and CF Now() as well as the mySQL
now() function to insert dates/datetime into the database.

> however, i didnt know that reserve words mattered in variables to, i
> thought it was just the db field names themselfs, are u sure bout that?
> doesnt seem right to me.

Strictly speaking no it doesn't matter, but it is good practice.

> im using the field as an int because it works with the php (choke) date
> inserts using time()

Hmmm... Dates and times do end up as purely a number when you get into
the lower levels of the database, which might well be seconds-from-epoch
as Tom suggests, or a Julian date. Generally speaking though, you give
the database an appropriately formated date/time to a date/time field,
it stores it any way it feels like, but returns the data in date/time
format and allows you to index/search that data as a date/time.

> that example i put up was just the last 1 i tried. i looked on google and
> didnt find an answer but saw some stuff about how it goes into the db must
> be a certain way.
>
> but u'd think it wouldnt be a problem to just set the now() variable and
> insert it but its choking. u'd think it would be a snap maybe its just my
> ghost in the machine again

As Tom says now() returns an ODBC formated Date/time object.
Unfortunately, there are no functions in CF to do what Tom suggests, but
I'm sure it possible to work it out, if you really need to.....

Regards

Stephen