Hi, i'll try my best to explain and was wondering if anybody had come across the same sort of
problem...

Enironment: CF5, Oracle 8.1.7, IIS5

Dev environment (as near as poss) same as Prod environment apart from Prod sits in the DMZ.

We are experiencing network problems where packets are being dropped at regular intervals
(Infrastructure working on the network problem) but these packet drops are causing Oracle to cause
a failure, and as far as we can see, it then logs out the CF user from the database.

In the Dev environment, when the database goes down and then comes back up, then the CF server
happily reconnects, but in the Prod environment, it stays disconnected and does not relog on.
(Could this be cause of the load on the Prod server?)

The CF Application log error that Oracle intially returns is as follows:
ODBC Error Code = 08S01 (Communication link failure)
[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Then all we get from Oracle in the CF Application log is the following error:
ODBC Error Code = S1000 (General error)
[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

The Prod CF server then refuses to function with the database until the CF Application Server
service is cycled.

Had the DBA's check all the database logs that they could think of for a time when it errored and
they could find nothing.  Ntohing jumping out in the Windows or CF logs either.

Can anybody either help with the above assumptions or provide an alternative explaination for how
this happening.

I realise that fixing the network probs should eliminate this but I feel that the CF
server should be able to kick itself back in (as long as I am understanding the
problem correctly :-)

Cheers in advance.

--
David