On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 08:55, Greg Luce wrote:
> Rob, what is cfeclipse? I went to http://cfeclipse.rohanclan.com/ and
> can't make heads or tails of it? Is it an editor? That's what it sounds
> like from the notes there. Is it freeware/shareware? Where can it be
> downloaded from?
Sorry,
Eclipse is an open source IDE / framework for java from IBM (and I think
Macromedia had a hand in it too). You can read about it and download it
here http://www.eclipse.org. It's a java IDE by default, but you can add
plug-ins for other languages - actually you can add plug-ins for pretty
much anything. People have made UML modelers and IM plug-ins - all kinds
of stuff.

It's kind of like .net for java.

If you have used a java type editor before, you'll probably have noticed
it was kind of slow (like netbeans), but this one uses native under java
so it crazy fast (Uses activeX stuff on windows, GTK on linux, Cocca on
Mac, etc). In fact, some say that eclipse with the cfeclipse plug-in is
faster / more responsive then dw - that is opinion and cfeclipse has far
less features then dw.

Anyway, to take the long way around, Eclipse is an IDE, cfeclipse is a
plug-in to make Eclipse an CF IDE/Editor - they are both free and open
source.

http://www.eclipse.org
http://cfeclipse.rohanclan.com

Cheers

<whiner>
I used dreamweaver a couple of jobs ago and I didn't like it. It's a
great product but it was not written for coders it was written for
people who needed a wizard to make a query tag. I found it to be
intrusive and unhelpful and an editor should help not hinder. Finally I
do mostly contract work, I use Linux and dw wont work on Linux
(purposefully I think).

I didn't like dw for the reasons listed below:

* It doesn't work on linux
* I could not do Emacs key bindings
* that stupid blue line number gutter thing, why blue? why cant I turn
that off?
* the price is out of control
* function helping not helpful
* it just seems to be made by designers for designers - lots of little
things - if you look at a code based IDE and you look at dw, you can
just tell its not a code based IDE
* I write quite a bit of java and I like to compile java and have
access to cf at the same times (like writing and testing beans or cfx
tags)
* an abundant of wizards piss me off.
</whiner>

--