> We have a client who is trying to use Russian characters in MySQL.

then it can't be unicode.

> I did some searching and have added the connection string to the DSN,
> but when special characters are inserted into a table, they only are
> stored as ? marks.

what encoding are you using for your cf pages? it can't be mx's default
utf-8. i want to say iso-8859-5 but i'm guessing but probably jochem will
know the exact one. in any case you want to be using a russian codepage
encoding everywhere, cfpage & the url for the mySQL connection.