Burns, John said:
> That's my question.  I know locally, 399 has always been Nextel and
> many of the other exchanges were always one company or another, but
> now that you can switch numbers between carriers, I don't see how
> you'd be able to keep up unless you had a direct interface to some
> kind of data that matched a cell number to a carrier

That is exactly what they have. In the Netherlands the system is
called COIN and is basically an SDH network over which all telco's
send "route this number to me from now on" messages in some predefined
XML format for realtime changes and a service organisation maintains a
database of all allocations.

Jochem