From: Kevin Graeme [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 4:31 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: App Skinning via XSL?

> Would this approach have problems on different platforms and browsers?
> At what point is CSS reliable across enough browsers to do this more
> advanced type of programming?

It's a good question. As with any technology there are compatiblity issues
and quirks. It's entirely possible to create CSS-only sites that work
equally well on IE5.5+, Netscape7+/Mozilla, Opera, Safari, etc. Netscape 4.x
support is pretty much out though.

And just like with any language, learning the ins and outs means you will be
able to do more with it than someone who hasn't. Most of the CSS Zen Garden
examples show what is possible for cross-platform development. There are a
few though that push the capabilities further than some browsers can
accomodate, but it looks like there's only 6 of the 201 designs that do
that.

I'll be honest though, figuring out how to accomodate the differences and
bugs can sometimes make you want to crawl under the desk and cry. One of
these days soon though, I'll have some of my own examples at the Zen Garden.

-Kevin
  _____