From: Ian Skinner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 3:09 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Software Life Cycle Development Templates

I'm taking the "opportunity to excel" here at work and trying to bring
some order to our web application development.  For the last year we
have been a team of two experienced CF developers, the previous year
there was only one.  Pretty much working ad hock on projects as they
came along with little formal documentation.  A single developer was
pretty much completely responsible for each project.  This has worked
well enough for the mostly smallish projects we have done to date.

Success has lead to more confidence by management and they are beginning
to authorize more ambitious projects that will be beyond the scope of
what a single developer can do in a reasonable amount of time.  Cool
stuff with 1+ man years of development.

To accommodate these projects our team is expanding.  We are adding 3
junior CF developers to the team. I believe we need to grow up and
become more professional.  Start applying a standard, formal software
development process.  Allowing multiple team members with different
skill levels to work on these large projects.

What I'm looking for are Software Life Cycle documentation templates,
preferably free.  When I've tried to Google for this stuff I only find
examples that somebody wants to sell me (or even more costly entire
consulting packages).  I'm hoping some of you may have worked, or better
yet managed, larger teams responsible for creating ColdFusion web
applications and are willing and able to share some templates for
Requirements, Design, Detailed Design type documentation or maybe know
of a good resource where I might get these type of templates.

Also any nice suggestions for basic information on web application
project management would be most appreciated.  I've had overviews of
analysis and design in classes, read about why formal processes good in
many places, but this will be the first time I've ever tried to be
anything like a "senior" developer after some seven years of mostly solo
and duet work.

scary, Scary, SCARY thought on many levels.

Thanks for reading my combination plea/rant.
Eternal thanks for any information.

--------------
Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource
www.BloodSource.org
Sacramento, CA

"C code. C code run. Run code run. Please!"
     - Cynthia Dunning

Confidentiality Notice:  This message including any
attachments is for the sole use of the intended
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and
delete any copies of this message.