Hello all!  Does anyone have an opinion (what a loaded question) as to a
discussion list focused on MS SQL Server that's on the caliber of CF-TALK?

My question at hand deals with possible scenarios for doing SQL Server 2000
database replication over the internet.  In my new job I've inherited a
pretty strange setup, which has local users using a VB-based app on their
PCs that hits a SQL database on the local server, along with a remote
website that has the public side of the application in ASP hitting the same
database via ODBC calls (including updates to the database) over a VPN
connection back to the local server.

Problem is that the "server" really isn't - just a glorified PC, no
redundancy, etc., and the only backup scheme is nightly backups.  I'm
looking at new (anyone with an opinion on used refurbished servers?  This is
a non-profit so $$$ are always tight) servers to solve some of the hardware
concerns, but would also like to look into having the web application go
against a copy of the database that is local, so that the VPN is not
necessary.  Apparently the VPN requirement is responsible for driving the
cost of the hosting service into the $700/mo range.  Just to add to the mix,
now that I'm in the picture, I'm writing CF apps to go against the same
database to compensate for the various inadequacies of the VB application.

Am open to all opinions and ideas on what the best future arrangement would
be!

Thanks everyone,

-reed