From: Terri Stocke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 12:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: dynamically updating one select list based upon the selection
in another

I have an update form in which the the user can choose an option from a
select list.  When this form is initially displayed, the current info from
the database is automatically selected.  This field happens to contain the
names of various departments in our division.
Each department has a default individual assigned to it (meaning that when a
department is selected from the list, the information submitted will
automatically be routed to the default person for that group).

The field below that is a dynamically populated select list of all of the
people in our division. If a user so chooses, they can override the default
person assigned to a group, and specify someone else from this list.

Now, here's what I want to do. When the form is first displayed, I want both
the department select list AND the people list to have the current value in
the db displayed (i.e. the department it will be routed to and the default
contact person's name in that department).
If, however, the user changes the name of the department to route to, I
would like the list below it to automatically then select the default
contact person's name for that department.

In a nutshell, the first list will drive what is selected in the second
list, but I want the second list to be independent (the first list will not
change what is selected if I make a different selection in the second list).

I'm assuming I will have to (ugh) use a javascript for this?  Admittedly, I
am neither a javascript guru nor a coldfusion guru. Can anyone provide me
with some direction on this?

Thanks in advance!
Terri
the body.