Bert & Mark:

Thanks!  I had been trying with the message type still set to 'file'.

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark A. Kruger - CFG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 6:38 AM
Subject: RE: IIS Custom Error Pages in CF?

> Yes you can.
>
> 1) Go into IIS properties for your site and choose the "custom errors"
tab.
> 2) Select the 404 error and choose edit.
> 3) change the "message type" from file to URL
> 4) Enter a .cfm page with a path relative to THIS site.  So, for
example, if you put a "missingFile.cfm" handler in your
> root folder you would enter "missingFile.cfm" - or if it was in a folder
called Bob it would be "Bob/missingfile.cfm".

> This can be quite useful.  I use this technique for some subscription
sites that wish to create unique URL's for their
> client subscribers.  After subscribing the user is instructed to use
"blah.com/name" (i.e. blah.com/MarySmith).  Of
> course the directory "MarySmith" doesn't exist so the request is
forwarded to my .cfm file handler.  The file handler
> parses out "MarySmith" and sends the user to a customized page for login
or whatever.

> A similar trick uses a wildcard entry on a DNS server to allow a user to
go to "marySmith.blah.com" - both tricks are
> great for sales CRM tools, real estate sites and the like - any place
where you want a use to have a "personal website"
> but it actually connected to a larger group or site.
>
> -mark
>
> Mark A. Kruger, MCSE, CFG
> www.cfwebtools.com
> www.necfug.com